Environment and Safe guards officer
- Salary Offer Attractive
- Experience Level Senior
- Total Years Experience 7
- Date Posted March 15, 2020
- Deadline Date March 27, 2020
Main Job duties and Responsibilities
The Environment &social safeguard officer (ESSO) at the Federal Program Delivery Unit (FPDU) will be responsible for, but not limited to, the following duties:
- Establish, support and supervise the implementation of environmental and social safeguard processes, based on, but not limited to, the findings of the Environmental and Social Management Framework (ESMF); Environmental and Social Impact Assessments (ESIAs); Environmental and Social Management Plans (ESMPs) studies;
- Assess and Monitor the implementation of the safeguard measures and the capacity of the institutions and agencies responsible for social safeguards, as they relate to the project;
- Liaise with the National Environmental Agencies and other federal and state government officials and other relevant parties on environment management issues
- Advice on and communicate environmental issues, regulatory requirements and other relevant issues to technical staff, regulatory authorities, public interest groups and the public.
- Ensuring that each sub-project and activities under the project is subjected to the Project Environmental Safeguard and management Framework (ESMF) process and procedures.
- Prepare guidelines, tools and notes for use in the project based on relevant environmental policies, acts and regulations/ directives of the Government of Ethiopia and relevant safeguard policies.
- Support environmental screening of sub projects and activities and help to prepare subproject or activity specific Environmental Management Plans (EMPs).
- Organize environmental orientation & awareness, and training
- Help commissioning and managing Initial Environmental Examination (IEE), if necessary and other assessment such as hazardous & e-waste management.
- Review sub-project and activity plan, design, cost, and bid documents to ensure environmental factors and mitigations are incorporated, and sub-project documents and environmental documents are in harmony. Monitor during implementation of subprojects and activities, and provide feedback to the PMU;
- Coordinate with relevant agencies for obtaining permission;
- Communicate with vendors, contractors, and subcontractors for necessary environmental compliance
- Evaluate environmental risks associated with floods, landslides, erosion, bank cutting and shifting channel as a result of project activities;
- Monitor potential collaboration with specific key stakeholders, such as Ministry of Agriculture, MOWIE and others.
- Monitor the appropriate technologies recommended for construction activities at field sites considering low carbon foot print.
- Support the regional Environmental Safeguard Officer (ESSO)in all Environmental safeguard issues;
- Perform any other relevant duties as assigned by the project coordinators;
Academic Background, work Experience and skills
- At least master’s/Bachelor’s degree (MSc or MA/BSc or BA) in Environmental Sciences, Environmental Health, and Development studies, Development Economics, Social Development and/or any other related discipline and 7/9 years and above work experience with a minimum of 5years experience as an Environmental Safeguard Specialist and/or Social Specialist in multi sectoral projects, with technical knowledge in both environmental and social safeguards processes and compliance.
- Knowledge of social, environmental and cultural issues affecting the implementation of development
- projects in Ethiopia. Experience with AfDB or WB policies and requirements will be an advantage.
- Proven experience in providing guidance on negotiation and conflict resolution processes.
- Professional experience in project management.
- Deep knowledge of the project cycle, including project implementation and portfolio management will be an advantage;
- Prior experience working in multilateral financial institutions/donor agencies or similar large organizations in the Water sector will be an advantage;
- Competence in the use of engineering software applications, Microsoft applications (Word, Excel, access, PowerPoint etc);
- Ability to communicate orally and in written English.
- Demonstrated ability to handle detail-oriented tasks and be organized.
- Good communication and interpersonal skills to work in a multi-disciplinary team setup.
- Flexible and ability to work under pressure.
Duty station Seqota Declaration Programme Delivery Unit (PDU), MoH
Duration 12 months’ with possibility of extension subject to performance
How to Apply
Qualified applicants are invited to submit their application indicating for which Position they are applying for, non-returnable CVs and copies of all documents together with original documents to Federal Ministry of Health, Human Resource Administration Directorate within 10 consecutive working days from the first date of this announcement on newspaper. Female applicants are encouraged to apply.
MINSTRY OF HEALTH, ETHIOPIA
HUMAN RESOURCE ADMINISTRATION
DIRECTORATE, BLOCK 1 FIRST FLOOR
1,545 total views, 3 views today
- This job has expired!
- Admin/Clerical & Secretarial (4)
- Advertising/Media & Journalism (1)
- Agriculture (2)
- Art & Design (1)
- Automotive, Machinery & Mechanic (50)
- Banking (6)
- Business and Administration (42)
- Business Devlopment (1)
- Community & Social Science (10)
- Const. & Architecture (50)
- Consulting (2)
- Customer Service & Support (6)
- Economics (34)
- Education & Tranning (1)
- Engineering (95)
- Finance & Accounting (43)
- Graduates (10)
- Healthcare (4)
- Hotel & Hospitality (6)
- Human Resource (12)
- IT & Telecom (10)
- Legal (4)
- Logistics& Transportation (21)
- Maintenance, Skilled Labor & Manufacturing (47)
- Management (71)
- NGO (11)
- Program & Project Management (10)
- Research & Science (5)
- Sales & Marketing (20)
- Security (2)
- Supply Chain , Procurement & Purchasing (9)