Research Associate II – Germplasm Health
- Salary Offer 15.000 Br ~ 20.000 Br
- Experience Level Junior
- Total Years Experience 2
- Date Posted May 13, 2020
- Deadline Date May 25, 2020
The International Livestock Research Institute (ILRI) seeks to recruit a Research Associate II – Germplasm Health on a temporary basis for six months who will be working with Feed and Forage Development Program at Addis Ababa, Ethiopia.
The International Livestock Research Institute (ILRI) works to improve food and nutritional security and reduce poverty in developing countries through research for efficient, safe and sustainable use of livestock. It is the only one of 15 CGIAR research centers dedicated entirely to animal agriculture research for the developing world. Co-hosted by Kenya and Ethiopia, it has regional or country offices and projects in East, South and Southeast Asia as well as Central, East, Southern and West Africa. www.ilri.org.
The purpose of the Research Associate II position is to participate and assist the routine activities of germplasm health at the ILRI forage Genebank-Feed and Forage Development Program.
- Conducts routine diagnostic tests for virus, bacteria, phytoplasma and fungi in the ILRI Forage Genebank collection;
- Carries out surveillance on plant diseases and pests in different field stations of the Genebank and provides suggestion for proper fungicides and pesticides application;
- Prepares media, buffers, and other reagents used in the diagnosis;
- Conducts greenhouse bioassays for determining virulence of viral, bacterial, phytoplasma and fungal pathogens including host propagation, inoculation, evaluation and data recording;
- Prepares the reports corresponding to the germplasm health evaluation in the laboratory and field
- Maintains accurate records of laboratory and field activities in the database;
- Other related duties as required and assigned by the supervisor.
- BSc degree in Plant Pathology, Plant science /Seed Technology Or related fields
- Diploma from a recognized university/college in Plant Pathology/Seed Technology/ Plant science or related fields.
- BSc degree with a minimum of two years relevant experience Or Diploma in relevant field with four years of relevant experience
- Experience in plant diseases diagnosis in the laboratory and field
- Experience working in laboratory, screen house and field environments
- Experienced in the growth and propagation of plants, preferably forages
- Experience in seed technology or conservation of plant genetic resources
- Experience in using a database
- Experience on QMS is an advantage
- Effective communication skills in English, both written and oral
- Good understanding of molecular laboratory techniques
- Broad knowledge of plant diseases, pests, and Integrated pest management (IPM)
- Knowledge of basic statistical analysis and experimental design principles
- Ability to learn new technologies and apply it to solve problems
- Efficient data recording and management skills
- Ability to work as a team member as well as independently
- Ability to work with laboratory chemicals, fungicides and other potential irritating substances
Duty Station: Addis Ababa, Ethiopia
Grade: HG 11
Monthly Base Salary: Birr 17,082 (Negotiable depending on salary history of the candidate).
Terms of appointment: This is a fixed term temporary National Staff (NS) position to replace a staff who will be on maternity leave for a period of six months’ employment contract which will not be renewable. The ILRI remuneration package for national staff in Ethiopia includes very competitive salary and benefits such as life and medical insurance, offshore pension plan, etc. The ILRI campus is set in a secure, attractive campus in Addis Ababa. Dining and sports facilities are located on site.
How to Apply
Applicants should provide a cover letter and curriculum vitae; names and addresses (including telephone and email) of three referees who are knowledgeable about the candidate’s professional qualifications and work experience to be included in the curriculum vitae. The position and reference number: REF: RA/19/20 should be clearly indicated in the subject line of the cover letter. All applications to be submitted online on our recruitment portal: http://ilri.simplicant.com by clicking on the “Apply Now” tab above before 25 May 2020.
To find out more about ILRI visit our website at https://www.ilri.org
Suitably qualified women are particularly encouraged to apply.
Subscribe by email to ILRI jobs alert
- This job has expired!
Horn of Africa Regional Environment Center and Network Horn of Africa Regional Environment Center and Network Contract Horn of Africa Regional Environment Center and Network Addis Ababa Addis Ababa Experience Level: Senior
Follow us on Facebook
- Admin/Clerical & Secretarial (12)
- Advertising/Media & Journalism (2)
- Agriculture (9)
- Automotive, Machinery & Mechanic (24)
- Banking (5)
- Business and Administration (18)
- Community & Social Science (5)
- Const. & Architecture (5)
- Consulting (2)
- Customer Service & Support (3)
- Economics (12)
- Engineering (34)
- Finance & Accounting (36)
- Graduates (5)
- Healthcare (4)
- Human Resource (12)
- Insurance (6)
- IT & Telecom (7)
- Legal (5)
- Logistics & Transportation (8)
- Maintenance, Skilled Labor & Manufacturing (23)
- Management (70)
- NGO (16)
- Pharmaceutical (2)
- Program & Project Management (7)
- Sales & Marketing (21)
- Security (1)
- Supply Chain , Procurement & Purchasing (15)