Grant and Compliance Advisor
- Salary Offer As per Company Scale
- Experience Level Senior
- Total Years Experience 5-10
- Date Posted June 24, 2020
- Deadline Date July 1, 2020
Norwegian Church Aid is a non-profit organization working in 30 countries worldwide to eradicate poverty. In Ethiopia, Norwegian Church Aid has been operating since 1974, engaged in short term emergency response and long-term development programs.
Our intervention in Ethiopia focuses on Climate Resilience, Reproductive Health, Water, Sanitation & Hygiene, as well as Humanitarian Emergency Response. NCA/E operate in six regions: Tigray, Amhara, Oromia, Somali, Gambella, Southern Nations Nationalities and People’s State and at the Federal level.
To achieve our development goals, we work with faith based and non-faith-based actors which have demonstrated strong grassroots reach and influence in the society.
Norwegian Church Aid is a member of the ACT Alliance, a coalition of organizations working together in over 140 countries to create positive and sustainable change in people’s lives.
NCA/E would like to invite interested and qualified applicants for Grants and Compliance Advisor position.
Job Title: Grant and Compliance Advisor
Area of Specialization: Grant management, Compliance, partnership capacity building
Reports to: Grants and Compliance Team Head
Duty Station: Based in Addis Ababa, with some monitoring travel to partner project sites
Length of Contract: One year (with the possibility of extension)
Salary: As per the organizations’ scale
The Grant and Compliance Advisor is in charge of managing different donor funded projects including Norwegian funded projects. He/she works in collaboration with team members to ensure compliance with various donors and also responsible for partnership capacity building and assisting the program in finance function, Donor reporting etc. S/he works in close collaboration of the partner organizations with close monitoring and follow-up as per the compliance requirement.
- BA in Accounting and/or MBA and /or master’s in accounting and Finance
- Minimum of 7/5 years demonstrated experience, preferably in INGOs engaged in humanitarian and development activities.
- Excellent interpersonal skills to promote effective collaboration within and across partner organizations
- Good written and oral communication skill in English language
- Ability to work long hours, under pressure and able meeting deadlines.
- Able to maintain motivation of self and others.
- Proactive to identify and communicate potential problems and propose solutions to the level of management appropriate to effect solutions.
- Ability to work as part of a team as well as to work autonomously when required.
- Keen to learn the financial and administrative procedures of NCA and partner organizations
- Strong personal integrity and commitment to accountability
- Detail oriented in following up and networking
- Excellent computer basic skills and keen to learn relevant software used by NCA
- Willing and able to frequently travel to hardship areas which NCA project sites are located
1) Managing Donor funded projects
- Follow up projects of NCA and subgrantees financial management, providing clear objectives, and technical support and capacity building / training. Provide technical supervision of field program and finance staff.
- Develop a financial and accounting training program and provide support to budget holders, partner finance staffs if applicable
- Identify and address key financial risk areas in the planning phase as the nature of the emergency will have changed the operating environment.
- Review / develop, co-ordinate and administer the plan for the control, monitoring and reporting of financial operations to include controller, treasury, payroll and budget functions, & development of accounting systems and procedures.
- Update Financial information, for respective finance and program department as needed.
- Active participation for the preparation of the project budget preparation to show funding requirements and ensure it is communicated regularly.
- Assist in providing Financial Planning information by the specific deadline dates
- Ensure or follow up timely and secure transfer of funds to meet program needs
2) Partnership/Sub-grant Process
- Work with Budget holders and finance department head to organize capacity and risk assessments for partners.
- Help facilitate the sub-award proposal review process as needed
- Work in collaboration with procurement, logistic, other NCA finance team, and program staff to manage sub-agreements.
- Contribute to NCA Ethiopia partnership assessment as needed/requested.
3) Partner Monitoring & financial report verification:
- Support program department staffs following donor funded projects and humanitarian team in monitoring sub-grantee partner donor compliance and progress against objectives, developing monitoring tools as needed.
- Liaise with program and finance team for timely submission of accurate financial reports.
- Conduct monitoring trip to existing sub-grants of partners
- Carry out all Pre-Award Assessments – including the defining of capacity building issues – for prospective partners and feedback to country office staffs, in a timely and comprehensive fashion
- Review financial report submitted by partners and provides immediate feedback as necessary
- Carry out subsequent visits to partners who are selected, in order to develop a Capacity Building Plan with specific action points, incorporating this into the negotiation phase for the Sub-Grant Agreement transfers
- Conduct training to NCA partners finance staff
- Coordinate communication between NCA Finance, program and sub grantees
- Ensuring that all partners submit their financial report on timely fashion and fund to be transferred to partners without delay
- Assist on post-award monitoring and filed visits to ensure that NCA and donor requirements are being followed by the sub grantees.
- Ensure budget and other operational policy and producers are respected by partners.
4) Capacity Building:
- Contribute to the development of capacity building strategy, particularly based on UN and other institutional funded projects
- Work with program and finance department to schedule and implement capacity building plans which may include formal training, mentoring, and experience sharing visits.
- Work with program department and PMER to establish linkages with other organizations that have capacity building programs, with the aim of experience sharing.
- Track and document assessments of the impact of capacity building interventions, including regular reports/updates on partner capacity building activities.
5) Documentation and Reporting:
- Maintain comprehensive files for the grants including partner files and relevant hard copied in the respective sub-agreement electronic files and label them correctly.
- Working with budget holders review monthly internal reports, compile and submit partner reports into overall donor report, program as needed/requested.
6) Donor Reports
- Preparation of draft donor reports for review by the Finance Controller
- Analysis of actual to budget results to identify problems in accounting or compliance
- Identification of procedural or training issues to be addressed to improve the quality of report data.
- Preparation of the creation of detail level budgets in NCA format to ensure required donor reports can be produced form the accounting system
- Assisting in the preparation and maintenance of the country’s Operating Budget to ensure data is complete and maintained on a timely basis.
- Preparation of monthly management reports analyzing the use of sub-grantee funding versus approved allocation as well as spending analysis.
- Assisting in the development and preparation of cost allocation processes for overarching costs that comply with donor regulations on allowable costs.
- Review of actual vs. budget results to ensure maximum utilization of budgeted amounts and to provide recommendations for realignments as required.
8) Other Duties
- Contribute to the overall proper functioning of the Finance department by taking on any other duties assigned by supervisor.
- Contribute to the overall improvement of the financial and accounting system in ETHIOPIA by providing recommendation to supervisor for consideration on specific areas that could be improved.
- Contribute to teamwork
- Facilitate any external audits and audits conducted by the Internal Auditor and other headquarters personnel
How to Apply:
Interested applicants are required to send their non-returnable application, CV and other supportive documents via [email protected]
- Posting Date June 24, 2020 and Closing date July 2, 2020.
- Enquiry by phone is not accepted.
- Only short-listed applicants will be contacted via telephone.
- Please indicate the job title you are applying for on the top of the envelope.
- NCA is an equal opportunity organization.
- Qualified women applicants are highly encouraged to apply.
- This job has expired!
Follow us on Facebook
- Admin/Clerical & Secretarial (24)
- Advertising/Media & Journalism (8)
- Agriculture (16)
- Art & Design (1)
- Automotive, Machinery & Mechanic (114)
- Banking & Insurance (40)
- Business and Administration (43)
- Business Development (3)
- Community & Social Science (15)
- Const. & Architecture (121)
- Consulting (1)
- Customer Service & Support (14)
- Economics (57)
- Education & Training (3)
- Engineering (223)
- Finance & Accounting (119)
- Graduates (43)
- Healthcare (18)
- Hotel & Hospitality (4)
- Human Resource (19)
- IT & Telecom (34)
- Language (2)
- Legal (9)
- Logistics & Transportation (33)
- Maintenance, Skilled Labor & Manufacturing (111)
- Management (199)
- NGO (5)
- Pharmaceutical (2)
- Program & Project Management (26)
- Research & Science (4)
- Sales & Marketing (43)
- Security (3)
- Supply Chain , Procurement & Purchasing (42)